This article is courtesy of Husqvarna Viking…
DESIGNER EPIC™ Leather
Bag – Part 1
Home Sew is happy that the new Designer Epic is now in Australia. To celebrate it’s arrival see how you can make this fun bag using the new Designer Epic.
DESIGNER EPIC™ Leather Bag – Part 1
- HUSQVARNA VIKING® DESIGNER EPIC™ sewing and embroidery machine
- Leather (or faux leather) – bring your pattern pieces when buying leather to get the correct amount
- Fabric for lining (approx. 40”x15” / 100x50cm)
- Fabric to place underneath embroidery (approx. 32”x12” / 80x30cm)
- Cutwork needles #620119596
- Leather needle #620106596
- Non Stick Glide Foot H
- Utility Foot A
- Sensor Q-Foot
- DESIGNER™ Majestic Hoop 360 x 350mm #920222096
- INSPIRA® Stick-On Tear-Away Stabilizer #620115196
- Embroidery thread
- Sewing thread
- Bobbin fill
- Leather cord (55” / 140cm)
- Hooks (2)
- Eyelets (8)
- D-rings (2)
- Rivets (2)
- Glue, suitable for leather
PREPARATIONS for DESIGNER EPIC™ Leather Bag – Part 1
Cut Out All Pieces
Cut out all pieces for the bag according to the measurements in the illustration below. All seam allowances are included in the measurements (sew together using the presser foot width as seam allowance).
Embroider the Front Piece
1. Hoop Stick-on Stabilizer in the DESIGNER™ Majestic hoop, carefully cut and remove the protective paper inside the inner hoop.
2. Place the front piece on the sticky stabilizer, flatten and press to stick the leather to the stabilizer.
3. Start Embroidering
- Change the machine needle to a leather needle.
- Select design A:10
- Skip color block 1 (the connection stitches) to avoid unnecessary marks in the leather.
- Embroider color block 2.
- Skip color block 3.
- Change to the first cutwork needle, and embroider the first cutwork block. Then continue with the other cutwork blocks, changing needles as described on screen.
- After the 4th cutwork block, remove the hoop from the embroidery unit arm.
- Use a small pair of scissors to cut away the remains of leather and stabilizer.
5. Attach the hoop again, and place a piece of fabric underneath the hoop.
6. Go backwards in the color block list. Embroider the third color block. Remove the hoop and trim the fabric on the back of the front piece. Turn the hoop and attach it to the embroidery unit arm.
Repeat the above steps to embroider the other side of the embroidery.
Assemble the Leather Strap
7. Take the two long leather strips and place them wrong sides together. Place the wider strip on bottom and the other centered on top. Adjust the width of the leather strips to fit your hooks.
8. Stitch the two layers together using the Non-Stick Glide Foot H and the straight stitch in right needle position. Trim excess leather.
9. Fold the strap around one of the hooks. Riveting the strap together around the hook following instructions included with the rivets.
SEW THE BAG
10. Assemble the Leather Pieces
- Take the small leather pieces (marked D in the cutting scheme), and fold around each of the D-rings. Adjust the width of these pieces to fit the width of your D-rings.
- Place the back piece of the bag with the right side up.
- Place the D-rings on top approximately 4” (10cm) from the top. Place the front piece on top, right sides together.
11. Sew the long sides together.