This is Part 2 of the Leather Bag using the Designer Epic.
12. When sewing in leather, you cannot press the seams using an iron. To get flat seams, open the seam, flatten with a hammer, and then glue the seams as illustrated.
13. When the glue has dried, continue sewing the bottom seam (flatten and glue).
14. Form the bottom by sewing the last two seams. Turn right sides out.
Assemble the Lining
15. Place the fabric pieces for the lining (C in the cutting scheme) right sides together. Sew the side and bottom seams. Press.
16. Form the bottom by sewing the last two seams.
17. Sew the two leather pieces for lining top together (B in the cutting scheme). Flatten the seams open and glue.
18. Place the lining top right sides together with the lining as illustrated below and sew together. Fold right sides out, finger press the seam and topstitch.
19. Assemble the Bag
- Place the lining inside the leather bag wrong sides together.
- Stitch the bag and lining together.
- Mark where you want the eyelets for the cord. Spread them equally on the front and back of the bag. We have used eight eyelets, placed approx. 2 ¾” (7cm) from the top of the bag. The first 2 eyelets are placed 6.5 cm from the center and the next 2 eyelets, 8.5 cm from the first 2. Since the front piece is embroidered, try to place the eyelets where there is no embroidery.
- Mount the eyelets following the instructions included with them.
- Thread the cord through the eyelets. Sew a stop to use when closing the bag.
- Fold a piece of leather (E, in the cutting scheme) so that each side meets evenly in the center with a ¼” (7mm) overlap. Sew together (make sure the openings are large enough to fit the leather cord).
- Thread the “stopper” onto the leather cord.
- Take the two leather pieces used for tassels (F in the cutting scheme). Cut strips along the long side leaving ¾” (15mm) un-cut at the top.
- Apply glue to the un-cut parts of the leather pieces. Place the leather cord on one end of the leather, then fold/roll until a tassel is created.
Enjoy Your Bag!